Friday, January 13, 2012

Jelly Roll Quilt

53" x 61"

Here's a quick quilt, there are some variations but I worked from the instructions for Jelly Roll Race.

I started with a pre-cut Jelly Roll of (40) 2-1/2" strips of fabric (the whole width, aprox 44"). I added a 2-1/2" square of brown to each strip and then sewed them into one really long strip (about 1600" long).

You cut off 18" from the top to offset how the strips line up. Next you bring the top and the bottom together and sew a very long seam. Yes, when you get to the bottom you have to cut the 2 strips apart. You continue this folding and sewing until you have your completed top.

I have to admit this really wasn't that much fun, sewing those really long seams. For me the joy of piecing is seeing what unfolds as you combine your shapes, and you just don't get this until you have your finished product.

Of course as soon as I put the quilt on the chair after my photography session, Sophie cat had to try it out.

And Milo on another quilt, so color coordinated.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:22 AM

    Very interesting! I really like your added squares. I looked at the link to the directions, and yours is much more interesting with the squares. I think I would like to try it with the stripes going vertical instead of horizontal. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like! I definitely think the squares make a huge difference. Would probably not make it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sure worked out!! Just lovely!

    What is it with cats and quilts? Have you noticed that virtually all quilters have at least one cat? All those cats zoom onto a fresh quilt, or fresh fabric.

    Or is it that people with cats become quilters? ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. A cousin in Alaska introduced me to the jelly roll race quilt. I had never seen or even heard of one, but am intrigued, and I do love strip quilting. I like your detail of the added square, and I appreciate you telling how you did it. I do believe I shall try it next time I make a quilt! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:17 PM

    You had me at quilts and cats. :) I love the addition of the brown square between the strips -- very nice. And your kitties are super cute.

    ReplyDelete