Saturday, January 09, 2010

Rag Letters

Aren't these fun, letters made out of fabric. I found the idea on Jessica's blog Happy Together. She's got a tutorial and a pattern for both upper and lower case letters. I decided to make mine smaller than she did, hers are about 6" tall, mine are 3 1/2" tall.

The top picture has the letters before they were washed. I found out I'm not a big fan of the rag style, I spent a lot of time trimming the letters after they were washed. This is a great way to use up scraps of quilt batting.

As I was going through my stash, I tried to find appropriate fabric for the letters. The T fabric has turtles on it, U has umbrellas, D has rubber ducks. You can click on the pictures to see them bigger.

Of course my mind started whirling with the possibilities, wouldn't it be great to have a kit with fabric for each letter. I think I have a mission. If you want to be notified if/when I get it together just comment or e-mail. We're going on a trip in a couple of weeks and I know a great fabric store there to start my search.

This is what I had: Bees, Cats, Ducks, Frogs, Hats, Ice Cream, Kites, Lizards, Orange, Purple pigs, Red, Stars, Turtles, Umbrellas, Vegetables, Watermellon, Zebra skin.

3 comments:

  1. Margaret G6:06 AM

    Wow. Just. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret G6:09 AM

    Here's fabric you need to get:
    Apples
    Gators
    Mice
    Queens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:46 PM

    Here are some more: Asparagus, apples , artichokes, butterflies, beans, birds, cabbage, dandelions, daisies, emus, elephants, fish, geese, hamburgers, jelly beans, kittens, kiwi fruit, lolly pops, lions, motors, pepers, pansies, quilts!!, roosters, skis, tomatoes, tigers, tulips, xylophones, yellow, zebras, zeros. I have fabrics of most of these (particularly kiwi fruit) so ask if you need them.
    To alleviate the raveling, make sure as much of the edges are on the bias as possible, you won't get the long threads coming off, just a bit of fuzziness along the edge then.
    Marge Hurst

    ReplyDelete