Saturday, January 09, 2010

Rag Letters

Aren't these fun, letters made out of fabric. I found the idea on Jessica's blog Happy Together. She's got a tutorial and a pattern for both upper and lower case letters. I decided to make mine smaller than she did, hers are about 6" tall, mine are 3 1/2" tall.

The top picture has the letters before they were washed. I found out I'm not a big fan of the rag style, I spent a lot of time trimming the letters after they were washed. This is a great way to use up scraps of quilt batting.

As I was going through my stash, I tried to find appropriate fabric for the letters. The T fabric has turtles on it, U has umbrellas, D has rubber ducks. You can click on the pictures to see them bigger.

Of course my mind started whirling with the possibilities, wouldn't it be great to have a kit with fabric for each letter. I think I have a mission. If you want to be notified if/when I get it together just comment or e-mail. We're going on a trip in a couple of weeks and I know a great fabric store there to start my search.

This is what I had: Bees, Cats, Ducks, Frogs, Hats, Ice Cream, Kites, Lizards, Orange, Purple pigs, Red, Stars, Turtles, Umbrellas, Vegetables, Watermellon, Zebra skin.