Sunday, July 20, 2008

I saw a Bear


At 6:00 this morning Jessie Dog, who sleeps in our bedroom, jumped up, started barking, pointing at the open window.

side note: our bedroom is lower than ground level by about 3' - so our window is about 1' above ground level from the outside)

There is this small black bear lumbering along the back side out our house, if I was outside instead of inside I could practically touch it.

My first instinct was to close the window (I'm no dummy!) Then I ran to the kitchen to see if Dave was still home - he got up early to go play golf. Next I thought to grab the camera and run to the other end of the house to see if I could spot him again. Of course by then he had ambled off into the bushes.

In hindsight I should have watched him instead of run around in a panic, I only saw him for a few seconds. I didn't let the dog go outside for a couple of hours, from the barking fits I'm not sure if that bear isn't still wandering around in the bushes.

Picture is from Wikipedia, no my bear wasn't nearly this big.

3 comments:

  1. WOW. I have only seen bears in the zoo. Which I am quite grateful for. What an exciting morning for you. Have fun bear scouting today. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:15 AM

    I'm glad Jessie dog didn't get up close and personal with the bear.

    We mostly have black bears in PA. I once caught a glimpse of one when we were in the Poconos. It was exciting and a bit scary.

    How wonderful that you got to see one coming for a visit. Just watch that he doesn't get too friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Karen ... check out the video clip on CNN about the family dog that chased a black bear up the tree. Perhaps you should let Jessie watch it, since the hero of the story gets a steak dinner!

    I thought of you when I read the story - grin -

    ReplyDelete