Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Scrapbook

I had the thought yesterday that it would be fun to save last year's blog entries as a scrapbook, complete with the pictures and text. So I did some searching on the internet to see what was available. I had some criteria of course: it had to be free, easy, and I wanted to output to be able to be printed off-site, I don't want to bog down my home printer with all the photos.

The first one that sounded good is Blog Collector. I downloaded it but it would not set up for me, I got "Windows error 193". There are no help or support files for the free version, so after fiddling with it for a while I gave up.

Next I came across Booksmart put out by Blurb. I was able to download and get started with this program and really like the concept of them printing my "book" when it's done. They also have some help files and a forum, but it's pretty limited to the style of the pages, you have to work with their formats only, no flexibility to create you own picture and text sizes. Also it automatically puts one blog entry per page, I ended up with over 100 pages, and 218 images.

I wasted a good part of the day on this project, but also managed to get the Christmas decorations down and get started on Kim's tote bag. I'm still looking for a way to make a scrapbook out of my blog, there's got to be a way to change a web page into a PDF file, but I haven't found it yet. I've read some information about making pages with Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator, so maybe I can get some help from Kim (See a mother try to guilt her daughter into helping with this project since all that money we are paying for tuition for her to be a Graphic Designer didn't get me a new header for my blog, I had to come up with it myself).

I'll let you know if it worked.

1 comment:

  1. Hi this is the first time I have looked at your blog - found the link on Mason-Dixon. Would have just cruised on by but you asked for comments.

    I have no advice about scrapbooking (have never done it)but I like to read crafty blogs for inspiration. My blog is actually all about running.

    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete