Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Michigan Bulb Company

Last week, when I was feeling frustrated by the lack of Lilacs at my local nurseries (they don't seem to stock them after the main bloom time) I started searching on the Internet. Actually my first quest was to find out what a President Lincoln Lilac looked like, they had some at Lowes but they didn't have a tag that showed them in bloom. Here's what I found at the Monrovia web site, very pretty, so I had Dave pick one up on one of his many trips.

While I was searching I came across the Michigan Bulb web site. I'm not sure what drew me in, but suddenly I was picking out plants and putting them in my shopping cart, and yes one was a lilac. Then there was the advertisement that if you spent $40 you'd get $20 off, I mean how can you pass that up. So in the end my order only cost me $22.70 - can you believe they added the shipping charges in first which brought the total over $40. I knew that these would probably be small plants, but when the box arrived yesterday I was surprised a really how small they are. Unfortunately I didn't put something for size in the picture with the plants, but the tall one, the container for the lilac is only 10" tall, the lilac maybe 7". Well, you get what you pay for and all that. One plant wasn't in the box, I still haven't received my Dogwood "tree".

So here's what I'm suppose to have: If you click on the link it will take you to the Michigan Bulb web site page for the plant.


Kaleidoscope Yarrow Mix These arrived as "bare roots" just a bunch of fibrous twigs.

The Bellflowers arrived as 3 small plants, very droopy. The pots were maybe 1" on a side square.





Crocosmia arrived as small bulbs, they were buy 3, get 3 free

Deep Purple French Lilac my lovely 6" twig, with a leaf.




I went out to plant everything in pots to give them a chance to show themselves before actually putting them in the garden, and somehow I tweaked my back. I first tweaked it on Sunday pulling weeds, but this was worse, in fact I could not stand up straight. The rest of the evening was spent on the couch with the heating pad - oh that felt good. I can walk this morning, I thought I was in pretty good shape until I tried to bend over when I was drying my hair - that was definitely a no go.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your back, Karen. Do you mean you've never made yourself a rice bag? Your plants look lovely. Here is another web site. I've ordered from them. Trees are shipped bare root. My silver maple was only about 12-16" high but it has really taken off and is now about 6-7' now that it has it roots set down. Bare root is good. Small is good. We've gotten spoiled by the huge stuff that nurseries carry, I think.

    Get well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duh! Senior moment. Here is the URL:


    http://www.bluestoneperennials.com

    ReplyDelete