Sunday, August 26, 2012

Dyeing, Crochet and Quilts

Somewhere in my blog readings I learned about Tumble Dyes, and of course I wanted to try them.  You don't have to pre-treat your fabric (soak in soda ash).  The bottle reads "non-toxic, washable, ready to use, water based, easy clean up".  You just shake the spray bottle and go.  Once your fabric is dry you heat set, an iron will do.  I haven't washed any of my experiments, I don't think I'll use this on any quilts that need to be washed.  The top right is my sample card of the colors I bought, I used a paint brush on dry fabric.  On the left (orange) is one I sprayed on a white on white printed fabric.  The bottom piece shows where I used a leaf stencil, the one on the left bled some so I used a dryer brush on the right leaf.

This is a larger piece I did.  I started with wet fabric, sprayed different colors on it and let it dry flat.  The wet fabric had some wrinkles in it and the dye does some migration which caused the ridges

In other projects, I crocheted these darling booties.

And I entered 2 of my quilts in the Northwest Washington Fair this year and got blue ribbons on both of them.  They give out a lot of ribbons, there are lots of categories.  My Zinnia quilt, which for some reason I've started calling Dahlia, won for Adult Division, Small Machine Quilted, Machine applique.

My house quilt won for Adult Division, Small Machine Quilted, Group quilt.   The house blocks were a prize from a raffle at a quilt retreat.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the blue ribbons, Karen! And, those crocheted booties really are darling. Is the pattern online? I'm working on trying to knit some booties (the patternmaker calls them slippers) and am having some trouble with the instructions. But, I'll get there, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those booties are darling! Congrats on your ribbons, the zinnia piece is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete