Monday, June 01, 2009

Contest!

But first, some miscellaneous stuff. Over the weekend I laid these stepping stones. Milo was a big help rolling in the dirt as I was shoveling it out. Here he is resting after all his efforts.
Iris! I had a patch of them that a friend gave me a few years ago, they never bloomed because they were overgrown. Last year I broke the patch up and replanted them in several spots around the yard, and look how lovely. This picture was taken with morning light, I'm going to try again in the evening to see if I can capture the richness of their color.
Here's an "artsy" shot, do you know what this is? Yes, that's the contest, name the above flower.
The prize, this hand made bag. I made it a few years ago for a school auction, no one bid on it so I bought it back, it really is nice if I say so myself. Size is approximately 8" x 11", there is an outside pocket and an inside pocket and it zips close.
Milo of course had to be in the photo shoot.

The official rules: Leave a comment with the name of the flower in the photograph. I will randomly draw a name from the correct answers, I'd be happy to mail international if needed.

Comments are hidden so you can't peek at others answers.

Also, since I hoping I'll find out more who's reading my blog by this, if you identify yourself, where you are from and how you found me, I'd be really happy.

Drawing will be this Friday: June 5, 8 a.m. my time.

16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret G11:24 AM

    I'm not sure what it is but I'll take a wild guess.

    Purple Lady's Slipper

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, could it be wisteria?

    I found your blog through a google alert that I have for the keywords "knitting contest." I keep that google alert on because it's how I find contests to post about on WiKnit (http://wiknit.blogspot.com), which is my knitting contest blog. I'll mention your contest there -- hopefully a few new readers will find you that way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is lupine?

    I found your blog from the wiknit blog. I'm brownbear on ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Astilbe Vision
    Eucomis comosa
    or Salvia? very pretty though! I love purple flowers

    ReplyDelete
  6. The flower in the photo is an iris!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the bag. What's wrong with those people!

    I think the flower is Lupine. It would be easier to be definite if the leaves were visible. For a couple of minutes I thought it was a Baptisia, or indigo since there are lots of different variants of them, but now I've decided that it's a lupine.

    I hope I'm right and no one else gets it :-).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Karen! I'm Heather from Portland, OR.

    Hmmm...I'm going to guess that it's a Blue False Indigo. That bag is super cute, by the way!

    kelleyheather@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sneaky not showing the leaves. That would clinch it for me, I think.

    I'll guess that it's lupines. Doesn't look exactly like mine, but they're close.

    I love the bag!

    I found out about the contest from a colleague. I live in NJ and love purple (which is my Rav id).

    I love to knit and hate to sew which is why this would be a very welcome prize.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That flower looks like a lupin to me. We see a lot of them when we go to cut firewood.

    I'm Nicole from BC, and I found your blog through WiKnit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will guess Salvia. Good luck figuring it out & thanks for the contest.

    I'm TripletMom on Ravelry

    ReplyDelete
  12. oo. is it lamium maculatum purple dragon? I was just perusing some purple flowers pictures and it hink that is it.

    I am AmIAKnitterYet from Ravelry. Not really sure what I tripped over to bring me here but I like what I've read so far.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is it a lupine?
    Nice bag, cute cat!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to go with lupine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll have to go with lupine. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks everyone for playing, the contest closed Friday June 5 and the prize has been awarded. If you missed it, the correct answer is Lupine.

    ReplyDelete