Sunday, April 19, 2009

Knitting Class

Yesterday I took a class from Tuulia Salmela on making a tailored sweater, knit from the top down with set in sleeves.  In 6 hours, this is what I got done.

 

sampleOK, it’s just a sample to learn the technique and is not anything I plan to finish, but I learned a lot.  Tuulia’s technique is well thought out and has lots of flexibility.  What you are looking at is the neck hole, the needles are over on the sleeve cap.  If I were to continue, I’d knit in the round until I came to the point to separate the body from the sleeves.  In the class I also got help on some basic techniques (I’ve finally master wrap and turn) and we received a CD with a spreadsheet to create our own sweaters perfectly sized from our measurements, and a file that is essentially a book on this technique.

When I signed up for the class I thought it seemed a bit expensive, but it was a great value.  After the class which was held at my LYS Apple Yarns, we were all given a lovely gift bag.

apple gift bag

Included in the bag was this skein of yarn, some stitch markers and a $10 gift certificate.stitch markers

I’ve always wanted some pretty stitch markers but won’t buy them because I just “know” I can make them , so these are a treat, notice the cute kitty bead.  Also 2 people in the class won great door prizes, alas, not me.milo on rock

Speaking of kitties , here’s a little Milo cuteness, sitting on a rock with his tail all puffed out from chasing around the yard.

3 comments:

  1. Karen, what a great class for you to take! It's always nice when you get so much out of it, learning and goodies!
    Milo is so cute, and growing up fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrific day you had, Karen! You certainly did receive a lot of goodies and it looks like you learned a lot. Why don't you plan to finish this sweater? The yarn is gorgeous and would look great with your hair.

    Milo has grown into a beautiful cat, I must say. Very elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mom brought the beautiful sweater! thank you so much! it will be so fantastic for spring and makes Rhys' eyes look extremely blue. and the socks...the socks are adorable! thank you again, steph john and baby rhys

    ReplyDelete