Sunday, March 22, 2009

Quilt Show Report

I went on a fun excursion today to the Quilters Anonymous show held in Monroe, Washington with 3 friends. I've attended this show almost every year I've lived in Washington, and it's interesting to see the different trends each year. My general impression was that there were very few "art" quilts, and many more large quilts than I usually see. I attribute this to the large numbers of professional machine quilters in the area, people are more willing to piece a large quilt if they can have someone else machine quilt it. (Just my theory, no study to prove the validity of it).

The last row I went down, was one I had skipped earlier as it had seemed a little crowded, and here were my 3 favorite quilts of the show all grouped together.

I know there are many different opinions about whether or not to post pictures taken at shows. I always try to make sure I have the maker's name, and if anyone contacts me and asks me to remove their work I will quickly do it. Click on the picture if you want a larger image.

"In Flanders Field" by Joyce Hornecker. This was made from a pattern by Carol Morrisey. 39" x 28"

"Flowers of Provence" by Linda Simmons. Inspired by a painting (so I'm guessing an original design). Hand pieced, hand appliqued, hand quilted. 40" x 50"

"Ice Fishing" by Nancy Schlosser. This was made by a pattern by Changing Tides LLC based on the artwork of Barbara Lavallee. Machine pieced, machine appliqued and machine quilted. 39" x 57". I'm familiar with Barbara's prints, and this is a great depiction. Wonderful fabric choices and the stitching on the fur ruffs gives it great texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment